This is a repair to the vent opening in the roof. The opening was in very rough condition and there is a sheet metal seam right in the middle of the opening. I also moved the opening slightly. You can see the white aluminium shims where I moved the vent opening.
Last Edit: Oct 20, 2011 20:54:49 GMT -5 by tomamara
I decided the best approach for this problem was to make a mounting plate that would become a permanent part of the roof skin. The plate would cover and seal the skin around the opening as well as provide a flat even surface for mounting the vent.
Last Edit: Oct 20, 2011 20:56:44 GMT -5 by tomamara
I glued the Aluminium plate down with 3M 5200 ( rocket glue ) 5200 is permanent and cannot be removed. 5200 was developed for NASA after the Apollo 13 mishap. The vent is bedded to the plate with silicon sealer ( which can be removed if necessary ) . The whole assembly is fastened through the skin into oak framing via the vent mounting holes. This procedure is done all at once.
3m 5200 can be found at some building supply stores and most marine supply stores.
Last Edit: Oct 20, 2011 20:58:04 GMT -5 by tomamara
3M 5200 added to list for the Dutch Craft project I'm starting. All three roof vents need replacing (among the usual suspects). I'm not sure why camper makers thought putting vents on roof panel seams was a good idea. It's hard to stop water at a junction like that. My Shasta compact was made that way too. 5200 to the rescue!
You are right. I was thinking about other applications where something permanent may be needed. I still have a few rolls of putty tape left from the Shasta resto that will come in very handy when we get to that part. Still tearing apart at this point.