Post by LittleVintageTrailer on Apr 15, 2012 20:43:53 GMT -5
Yeah, I'm looking forward to working on this one. I don't plan on rebuilding as it's in good shape though I'm sure I'll have a long list of things that will need to be done to it. But I'm really looking forward to it taking shape how I want it. The PO of this one said that it used to have a full stove/oven. Meaning one of those floor model ones. Gosh, really makes me wish I could find more info on these to see just what they looked like originally inside.
Post by LittleVintageTrailer on Apr 29, 2012 19:03:54 GMT -5
Wow, you've accomplished a lot. Sheesh, you are going to pass me up in your restore. We haven't even started yet. We plan on pulling of the front skin next weekend and hopefully get started on rebuilding that. I'm sort of scattered and need to really write a supply list. What size is the wood framing beams? Also do you know where to get the 1/8th inch birch panels or are you going to use something else?
Slow going but I thoughtnid post some stripping photos. Once the tall closet is out I can begin reframing. Trying to frame from the inside as much as possible. Bought a polisher t harbor freight on sale. Also stole a 10 inch mitre saw in the box from CL for 100 bucks. Dying to reframe so the fun can begin.
Post by LittleVintageTrailer on May 13, 2012 18:12:04 GMT -5
You are getting there! It looks like you have all the interior paneling removed. That in itself is an accomplishment. I had to stop when I got to the 1/2 way mark. I was tearing out the sides and ceiling and then was told I should stop so the trailer doesn't fall apart on me. But then again we have the front skin off from the window seam down. So I guess I got a little ahead of myself ripping out the interior. So we'll rebuild the front framing and then work our way back so the trailer stays stable.
Haven't posted in a while but I've been working all weekend in the blazing sun building the port side frame. Curves make everything slow and tedious but I hope my work improves upon the original. I'm using glue and dowels whenever possible and galvie screws. No nails. I have to patch the floor and replace an outer joist before I can tie this huge section into a action I could salvage. Used a router to add the recess for the ceiling beams. Will add more detailed photos if it will help anyone out there.
The whole side almost collapsed when I installed the new frame section. I'm hoping everything is right. I have no reference points anymore. Had to cut up part of the floor to replace an outside floor joist in front of the wheel well.